Thursday, March 17, 2011

Patton Oswalt Poster and WonderCon

”Patton Oswalt poster gigposter Rialto Theatre”

A True Comedian of Comedy

This is a show poster I did for Patton Oswalt at his show coming up April 29th.
If you're anywhere near Tucson around this time you should definitely check it out! Details and ticket info can be found in the Events section on his site here.

Prints are available through my Etsy store. Get 'em while they're hot--!

Comics and Comics


So I had the lucky happenstance of meeting the swell funnyman at the Hammer Museum where he was moderator for an event promoting the release of the book "75 years of DC Comics: The Art of Modern Mythmaking." Jumping at the chance to see comics history and geekery elevated to such a classy locale, I joined some friends to see the entertaining discussion. The guests included the author and former president of DC, Paul Levitz, as well as creative giants Jim Lee and Geoff Johns.

During the Q & A, someone in the crowd asked a fairly general question about how to 'make it' in the comics biz, to which even the moderator jumped in. Talking about how one's got to just do your thing (with interwebs n' all)-- not wait to be picked up by some bigger imprint or get 'permission' to do what you love, it was totally heartening to hear words encouraging independent aspirations. I dug.

I think some similar sentiments came though in his "Comedians of Comedy" movie, which follows "alternative comedians," Brian Posehn (another comic book aficionado!), Zach Galifinakis (awesome!), and Maria Bamford (even awesomer!) on tour.
Patton was a fantastic fit for the event and so I made it a point to tell him so after the show... and certainly glad I did~

Pictorial proof :
I strategically placed myself in the front row,
 hoping to absorb some of their talent via spit/osmosis.

Comics pals Ralph and Jeremy were part of the cadre as we squinted our closest resemblence to the Man of Steel of the Golden Age...
Squinty McSquinterson



If you can draw fantastically, be a Publisher of DC, be very well spoken,
 and not have to let go of a good beer all at the same time, your name might just be...

...Jim Lee!
We then proceeded to become zombies...








A Time to Wonder

I'm going to be a bit more timely with this post and make some noise about Wondercon this year. Celebrating it's 25th anniversary, the event will be held April 1-3 at the Moscone Center-- smack dab in the middle of San Francisco. This was one of the first events I ever tabled at and it's been great fun every time. I really enjoy its size, space, and audience. To me it feels like a fine balance between the cozy halls of APE and the rabble crowds of ComicCon. The city is also rad to boot.
Hope to see folks for the show~
Mark your calendars! :


Fri 4/1 Noon - 7pm
Sat 4/2 10am - 7pm
Sun 4/3 11am - 5pm

More info about the event is available on their official site.

I will be in attendance with aforementioned Ralph Miranda and Co. at table #AA-077

I'll have a the newest of my 'Nouvuea Robotica' posters on hand as well as some comics, stickers, and buttons.
One new addition this year will be unveiled in the form of some fashioned machinery--
a vintage vending contraption that'll dispense buttons and other fun goods. 
There will be a limited quantity of capsules with the non-red caps that'll get patrons a free sketch!Bring your quarters! (or at least small bills I can break ;)

Here 'tis, still having it's kinks worked out--
Promised to be ready full of fun trinkets for the show~
[GumballmachineVenturetime is a joint operation
by myself and musician pal digitalcasm--
look for it at his performance too!]




















1 comment:

Mai Kemble said...

I think your poster is delicious!!!
:D